Sunday, June 26, 2011

PALIO!

Palio was last weekend and it was really interesting and fun. The night before the Palio the different neighborhoods have big dinners. I went after the kids went to sleep and everyone was wasted. Italians usually don't get wasted drunk but the Palio is a big celebration drunk fest I guess. So that night was fun.. I met Vanessa who used to be a nanny for Elia and Katie who is interning in Florence. They are both really nice and fun! so that was saturday night and then Sunday they do this big parade in the main piazza near rogirros (if you know where that is.. its the bar I hung out at when I was a student) but everyone is all dressed up medievalish.


So there is 3 neighborhoods... Porta Fiorentina, Porta Romana, and Cassero.. and we were for Cassero. Here is my cool flag...

Lola and me at the parade.



people in the parade.

Ross in front of the huge cow




and so after the parade people go tho the actual horse race. They set this up like 3 days before the Palio. So usally this is a main road and parking area for the town.. and they turn into this arena like thing for the race... it was crazy! and the next day it was all down! but here are all the people.




Here is a video of my PALIO experience!



Porta Fiorentina won.. and they were all going crazy!









1 comment: